- Upcoming Events
- Past Events
2007 SCIENCE TEACHER WORKSHOP
"UNDERSTANDING NUCLEAR RADIATION"
SATURDAY, MARCH 3, 2007
8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Central Virginia Community College (CVCC)
3506 Wards Road
Lynchburg, VA 24502
- The Virginia Chapter of the Health Physics Society
- The Virginia Section of the American Nuclear Society
- The Virginia Section of the North American Young Generation in Nuclear
- There is no charge for attendance, and lunch will be provided.
- Each participant will be given a free Geiger counter for use in the classroom.
- Most school districts give one re-certification point for each hour of instruction.
The workshop will include approximately 7 hours of instruction.
Download the Flyer
Topics to be presented:
- Fundamentals of Ionizing Radiation
- Biological Effects of Radiation
- Beneficial Uses of Nuclear Science and Technology
- Nuclear Energy
- Nuclear Radiation Activities in the Classroom
- Using a Geiger Counter in the Classroom
SOLs to be covered (from Standards of Learning for Virginia Public Schools, January 2003):
- 3.11 Different sources of energy (a, d)
- 5.4 Definition of matter (a)
- 6.2 Sources of Energy (c)
- 6.3 Role of radiation (b)
- 6.4 Definition of matter (a, b, c)
- 6.9 Public policy decisions (b)
- PS.2 Basic nature of matter (a, b, f)
- PS.3 Models of atomic structure
- PS.4 Using the periodic table (a)
- PS.5 Nuclear reactions-fission and fusion (b)
- PS.6 Forms of energy (b, c)
- ES.7 Renewable and nonrenewable sources of energy (a, d)
- CH.2 Periodic table and atomic structure (a, b, c, f)
- PH.5 Inter-relationships among mass, distance, force and time (g)
- PH.6 Quantities, mass, energy, momentum, charge
- PH.8 Energy transferred and transformed (a)
- PH.10 Electromagnetic spectrum (a)
- PH.14 Very large and very small quantities and non-Newtonian physics (f, i)
- Space is limited so you are encouraged to register online in advance.
- Additional details, including driving instructions, cancellation policy, etc., will be mailed to all registered individuals several weeks before the event.
- For questions, please contact: